Help us connect kin caregivers to our program.
For the first time, legal, financial, and therapeutic resources available to foster parents are now also accessible for kin caregivers—grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends, or even older siblings that take over when parents have become unwilling or unable to care for their own children.
12% of children in New Mexico are raised by kin caregivers, and most of them don’t know that many helpful programs, benefits, and resources are available to them, all free charge. Children in kinship care situations tend to fare much better than those placed in foster care and it’s in everybody’s interest to help support safe and stable environments.
Please help us spread the word and connect kin caregivers to our program so we can facilitate access to important resources—Simply fill out one of the referral forms below and we will reach out to them.
Available Services & Resources
- Needs & Eligibly Assessment to determine the specific needs of a family and which nonprofit, local, state and national services they qualify for
- Information & Education related to kinship care, such as caregiving, self-care, mental health, legal assistance, social media, current technologies, child development, childhood trauma, financial planning, taxes, and cultural competency
- Guardianship Help with guardianship applications and filings to allow caregivers register children for school and apply for medical services
- Legal Services concerning guardianship or custody orders, child/parent visitation, public benefits and financial matters, assistance with negotiations, housing, and special concerns for immigrant caregivers
- Federal, State and Local Benefits including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); WIC; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Housing Authority; Income Support Division; Medicaid; Child Support; Respite Care; Guardianship Assistance; Legal Assistance; Child Care Assistance; Education
- Therapeutic Services are available in-house or with community based services and include behavioral management services, case management, peer support services, and individual and family therapy
BERNALILLO COUNTY REFERRAL FORM
RIO ARRIBA COUNTY REFERRAL FORM
OTHER NEW MEXICO COUNTIES REFERRAL FORM